Android App Development Video Tutorials
Learn to program Android apps using Java and Android Studio
Our complete Android app development course teaches you how to program in Java and build beautiful Android apps. It was developed and refined through years of in-person teaching. It's composed of a combination of guided tutorials and challenges. By the end of the 15 module course, you will be fluently programming in Java and understand the fundamentals of designing Android apps in Android Studio
What you will learn
- Android Studio 2 IDE: Android Studio is key for making an app. Students learn to set up projects, use the Layout Editor, integrate third party libraries into projects, and debug their apps based on compiler warnings and error reports in the console.
- App Design: Students learn to customise the appearance of an app in XML code within layout files, arrange UI (user interface) elements on screen, and learn to use constraints to make an app fit different screen sizes and screen orientations for a good user experience. Students also learn how to nest different views within it each other to create more complex designs.
- App Behaviour: How to link the UI elements in the XML files to Java code to respond to user input and modify what appears on screen. How to navigate between different screens and pass data between them using Intents. In addition, students learn how to manage the app life-cyle and at which points to configure the app, save important data, as well as when to free up resources.
- Key Android components: How to work with key aspects of Android such as Activities, app permissions, Android Manifest, Intents, onClickListeners, SharedPreferences, ListViews, Adapters, and the LocationManager.
- Concepts of Object Oriented Programming (OOP): The type system, variables, functions and methods, inheritance, classes, objects and their properties, state, scope, access modifiers and interfaces.
- Java Programming: Understanding key concepts of Java. Including in-depth explanations of constructors, callbacks, listeners, exceptions, and loops.
- Control Structures: Using if-else clauses and logical operators to control the flow of execution.
- Data Structures: How to work with collections, such as Arrays, ArrayLists, and Maps.
- Software Design: How to organise and format code for readability and how to implement the Model-View-Controller (MVC) design pattern. How to create apps with the Android app lifecycle in mind.
- Networking: How to make asynchronous API calls, store and retrieve data from the cloud, and use the JSON format for server communication.
- Data Storage: How to setup a cloud based database using Firebase 2.0, understanding how to store, query data from the cloud and authenticate users.
- A computer capable of running Android Studio 2. Check out the system requirements.
"A well structured and comprehensive course aimed at giving you the fundamentals to app building and to learn by doing. I really benefited from the welcoming environment of the course and felt Angela and Philipp helped us to bond as a group. I am new to coding and loved being able to have working apps at the end of the week, it was a real confidence booster. I would recommend this course to anyone who is keen to build their own apps or wants to start their own business using mobile tech." - Sian Cleary
"This course was truly inspiring, as a person who had no experience of coding whatsoever, Angela and Philipp made the experience pain free (well as pain free as it can be when your code keeps breaking). With a course book especially designed by them, it's a unique experience that can't compare to other places which are often just code-along boot camps.
They both integrate group teaching and individual work seamlessly, allowing you to learn at your own rate, something rare in any classroom taught course.
Angela and Philipp are charming and knowledgeable. I completed the full week course and as a person having had some experience in both marketing and with a business master's degree, I did not have such expectations for the app marketing seminar, as typically marketing lectures regurgitate the same information. However, I was very very pleasantly surprised. Both seminars on app marketing and UI were motivating and informative. All the information I received was relevant and useful.
If you are looking for course for your staff on iOS app programming or simply wanting to carry out some personal development this is a fantastic course to take. Also, with the level of one-to-one teaching and genuine enthusiasm for the subject you receive, it is very very reasonably priced.
Highly recommended!" - Emma Burton
"This was the best introduction to app development anybody could ask for, The course is very practical and quickly gets you on board with the language so you can start coding straightaway, though still challenging enough to leave you with plenty of homework. Philipp and Angela are really enthusiastic about their craft, and explain things so well, that even as a complete beginner you are able to understand. Definitely recommend!" - Shakhnoza Muradova
Read more at www.londonappbrewery.com
I’m Philipp, I’m a data scientist and mobile developer with a passion for teaching. I’m the lead instructor at the London App Brewery for machine learning and Android development, fluent in Python, Java, Swift, Dart, and VBA. I’ve taught thousands of students in-person in our London classroom. Head up our corporate training at companies such as Google, Amazon and Twitter. Every day I think about how I can make hard concepts easy to understand, which projects would make a good tutorial, and how I can help make programming fun and approachable for everybody!
StartDeveloping for Android - Tools for this Course 🚩 (1:16)
StartSetup on Mac: Android Studio, the JDK & Connecting a Physical Device (8:20)
StartSetup on Windows: Android Studio, the JDK & Connecting a Physical Device (9:52)
StartTroubleshooting: Android Device Not Recognised 🐞
StartConfigure Android Studio for Productivity: Themes, Auto-Import & SDKs ⭐️ (9:03)
StartHow to Set Up an Android Emulator with Hardware Acceleration (15:37)
StartAndroid Studio IDE Walkthrough: Panes, Toggles & Navigation (8:39)
StartSlow PC? Make it Run Faster with these Performance Tricks [Windows] (2:44)
StartWhat Will We Make? (1:44)
StartCreating a New Android Studio Project and Choosing the API Level ⭐️ (9:12)
StartWhat is the Package Name? 🚩
StartWorking with the Layout Editor, Strings, and App Themes ⭐️ (12:52)
StartAdding Graphics to a Project and using ImageViews ⭐️ (6:40)
StartWhat is XML and How Does it Work? 🚩 (7:36)
StartSetting a Custom Launcher Icon ⭐️ (6:05)
StartRunning the App to Test it Out! ⭐️ (1:56)
StartDesign the App's Screen in the Layout XML 🚩 (4:15)
StartUnderstand the Android Project Structure 🚩 (3:16)
StartThe Wonderful World of Version Control: Installing Git ⭐️ (8:28)